<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12389167/?claim=axtpr45qybu”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
“God helps those who help themselves.” “Maybe you need more faith and that’s why you didn’t get [fill in the blank].”
Tell that to my friend who was persecuted mercilessly by her family because she decided to follow Jesus. Tell that to my friends who were put in prison for sharing the Gospel. Tell that to me in the deep sorrows of my heart.
No, we are all desperate people unable to do anything. We are broken.
And God is all powerful.
He knows our limitations and so, as it says in Isaiah 64:4, “acts on behalf of those who wait for him.” We recognize our weakness and seek The Lord. And he shows up. Every time. Maybe not how we anticipated. Maybe not to fix things the way we want. But he’s there working. Because we can’t.
And so I find myself pondering Scripture as I delve deeper into the character of God, feverishly writing verses that pop off the page into my “Sword of the Spirit” journal. This journal only has Scripture in it. No words of my own, only God’s. And it reminds me of all that God is.
So let us be reminded of some of the ways he works for us:
1. Cast your cares on The Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. Psalm 55:22
2. God is not served by human hands as though he needed anything, but he himself gives life and breath and everything. Acts 17:25
3. The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
4. The eyes of The Lord run through the earth, to show himself strong for those who trust him. 2 Chronicles 16:9
5. If I were hungry, I wouldn’t tell you. Call on me, I will deliver you. You will glorify me. Psalm 50:15
6. To old age I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save. Isaiah 46:4
7. I worked harder than any, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 1 Corinthians 15:10
8. Unless The Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Psalm 127:1
9. Whoever serves, let him serve by the strength God supplies, so that in everything God may be glorified. 1 Peter 4:11
10. Work out your own salvation, for it is God who works in you, to will and to work. Philippians 2:12-13
11. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 1 Corinthians 3:6-7
12. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus who gave himself as a ransom for all men. 1 Timothy 2:5-6
So, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1Peter 5:7).
What verses speak to you about God working?